Monday, September 27, 2004

The Vorpal Blade Went Snicker-Snack!

Boy howdy -- I had written several paragraphs but wasn't the least bit happy with it. I am guessing the general idea of this topic may irritate and offend some people. I am not going to apologize for it. This is an ANTI-SMOKING entry.

I don't get it. I just don't. I never have. I doubt I ever will. It's ugly. It's smells to hades and back. It causes all sorts of health problems. I just do not understand smoking.

What I understand even less is why smokers feel they have the right to smoke anywhere they please. Seems like more and more places are trying to pass "Clean Air" laws that help keep public smoking down. Believe it or not, it is a health hazard to us non-smokers. Mesa is one of those places. Alas, I have to travel campus to get from one class to another and though the majority of campus is non-smoking, that doesn't seem to keep people from lighting up wherever they want. There are designated smoking areas. I may not like detouring around a building because there is a smoking area I'd rather not go by, but I am very willing to do so. If you can't or won't quit (from what I've read of nicotine addiction it is one of the hardest addictions in the world to break) -- at least do the rest of us the courtesy of smoking only in designated areas. When I DO take a path well out of the way of those areas the last thing I should expect is to find myself walking though a purple-grey haze. Yet, on a daily basis that's the case.

So you have the right to smoke, I suppose you do. You certainly have your God given agency to bind yourself the chains of tobacco. I still don't see where that gives you the right to make me breathe in your second-hand or exhaled smoke. I don't see at all how your choice to smoke should cause me ill effect.

There are things that are illegal to do in society. From a simple burglary to violent crime including murder. We have laws against these things and yet some people choose to do them anyway. You can't legally shout obscenities in public in most places. You can't legally run around in your birthday suit in most places. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Some people still choose to do these things, but that doesn't make their choice right. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.

Maybe you feel infringed upon when told you can't smoke in a certain place. Maybe I feel infringed upon when you do smoke there. MCC, at least, has those designated areas for smokers. They are trying to accommodate you in that fashion.
Guns, knives, explosives -- all sorts of lethal objects have been banned from schools. Cigarettes are just as lethal. Until they are banned totally, do me the courtesy of sticking to those areas. Please don't smoke elsewhere. Let us non-smokers have our designated areas.

~G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home