Thursday, November 11, 2004

Happy Holiday

What a great thing to have veteran's Day. Not only do I have some military friends and those who served in the family and am thankful for doing that job that I don't feel I could do. But I have to admit a bit more selfish a bit of relief this year. Even though it has been a fairly slow week in school for me, because my body has been demanding lots of extra sleep I am just glad of another day off this week, even if it means a Friday back at school and then a weekend.

Why am I up at this insane hour for someone who seems to be lacking sleep? Well, insomnia is my chronic rampant disease, if you can call it that. You know how it is, when you body is very tired and yet you just can't sleep? That's exactly what I'm feeling. I could be exhausted right now and probably not get a good night's sleep. Wish I had a reason for what causes it.

I picked up Halo 2, not because I'm a big Halo fan, but because many of my friends have it and my roommies will want to play it so if I want to play something with them, I'll have to have it. Mind you I did trade in a game today. I haven't actually spent cash on a game in a while now. This is good since I am poor. I couldn't pass up this deal. I traded in a game I bought around 15 months ago and got $20 less than what I paid for it. Might sound like an awful deal, but when I consider it was $144 in trade-credit today, I'm okay with that. That'll basically pay for almost 3 other entire games (and has paid for one of them already). I just couldn't pass up that opportunity.

In other news, I went to see The Incredibles a couple of days ago. I did this for 2 reasons. ONE> it's Pixar which means I have to see it and by nature like it. That being said, I like some Pixar more than others (Finding Nemo actually being either last place or tied for last). TWO> the new Star Wars trailer. Sure, sure, I could download it, but I just have this *thing*. I won't watch the trailer on a computer until I've seen it on the big screen (only for Star Wars) and I do my darndest to NOT know anything about the movie except what's in the trailer. I speculate a lot, but don't search out websites with plot summaries, scripts and other such stuff. I want it to be just like when I was a kid -- seeing it fresh and be amazed.

The Incredibles was... incredible. It really was a load of fun for me, I dug the story and the characters and just plain dug it. The Star Wars trailer was great. It was short, but sweet. I must say (something I've known for years and years but struck me again) that Star Wars would be nothing without John Williams. Maybe, just maybe someone else could have pulled it off, but I'd bet against it. The music for Star Wars is so much a part of it that Williams should claim creative credit along with Lucas. 25+ years later I still here some of the music and feel something swell within me. I can't say that about a lot of music, especially musical scores, and yet some of the world's most memorable movie scores were composed by John Williams. Star Wars, Superman, Jaws... who out there can't come up with at least one bit of those? The new trailer brought it home to me yet again just how important a role the score plays in Star Wars. Wow.

I know a lot of people like the current batch of films a lot less than the originals. I will say I still prefer the originals (and still want the theatrical releases on DVD darnit!) but like the new ones. I don't actually hate Jar-Jar Binks. I can only say I really hope that Revenge of the Sith brings this trilogy to a much better conclusion than the first two films would lead us to believe. There are so many things we know have to happen somewhere (perhaps that's why people like them less, we already know a lot of the story just not exactly *how* it came to be). I've been wondering for almost 2.5 years now how Lucas will end the film. I know how I'd end it. What would you do if you were making it? Where would you end this movie? Guess I'll know 19 May 2005. School's out by then. Booyah! Do I hear another all-day Star War-a-thon? (This is where sitting in the front row gets to be a great boon, I never had to fight for a seat.)

Thanks again to all my friends and family who are serving and did serve our country to defend the freedoms that so many people (including me I'm sure) take for granted.

~G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home