Sunday, October 24, 2004

They'd Been Eaten, Every One

Godilla isn't famous for eating people, just stomping buildings, power plants, trains and other such things, but I suppose sometimes he's got to eat something? Maybe it's the oysters referenced above. Maybe not.

Ever try and break a habit? Even one that's not necessarily a bad habit? Can be pretty tough sometimes. Aside from laying off the soda and caffiene (which I am doing well with) I am really trying to break the habit of going out to eat. Mind you, it's a little easier since I have no money with which to go out, however the craving is still there and boy what a craving.

Ever see You've Got Mail? Aside from being a pretty fun little film, and who doesn't like Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks (?), if brings up this idea of the "Third Place". You have Home, Work and this Third Place. I guess you only hear about it in the commentary, but I gather it's that place that people go to just kind of hang out. In the movie it seems like Starbucks is their third place. For me it's always been someplace like Taco Bell. I could sit and grab a bite, drink all the soda I could, and just read to my heart's content. When I was at BYU taking college algebra I actually did all my homework there. It is the only math class I ever did every homework assignement for, ever. Imagine that. They knew me by name, I knew them. It was a comfortable place for me to be.

Still is. Taco Bell on Power and McKellips would be the first one here even though one is closer to home, becuase it's across the street from where I worked for a year and a half. But then there's Eatza Pizza. Both places have seen me with numerous books, including my texts. They are apparently my "Third Places". Alas, I can't afford to go out to eat. I suppose I could hang at the Bell and drink water, they probably wouldn't mind so much, but then it's not really the same. I don't mind drinking water if I've ordered something, but ya know what I mean?

I am struggling since school started to keep up my book a week average. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is I am putting a LOAD more time into school than ever before so that cuts way back on my reading time, but the other is I am not visitng my haunts as much. I really did a lot of reading on my outings. There isn't a good park nearby to go sit on a bench, I've looked. I sometimes will hang out at the amiptheatre at the mall too, which works. But for the most part, I got a huge portion of my reading done when out to eat... and now I'm trying to break the habit of going out so much becuase I'm poorer than dirt. What will that do to my reading?

I have said before I'd give up half the books I read in a year if I found the right gal, but this situation isn't that at all. What am I to do? What kind of "Third Places" are there that don't have "cover charges" or a "2-drink minimum" so to speak? I've tried the library at school even, but usually feel that I should be doing homework when I'm in there, even when most or all of my HW is done. Mind you, I've been known to take books to Disneyland. So please, help me find some place to read where I can feel comfortable and still get in a book a week minimum. Or if you're that right gal then that time would be better spent with you... are you?

Anyhow, Kanji Quiz is tomorrow and though I'm caught up on a lot of my work, I do definitely need to review those so I'm going to be off, fold about 5 pieces of laundry, study my Kanji and let Much Ado About Nothing play though it all.

Hasta la proxima vez,

~Gojira

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home