Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Cats and Dogs Living Together -- Mass Hysteria!

Yes it's true your honor...

What a day. Doesn't always seem like I'm having a day? Well why shouldn't I? Afterall, I am no longer working nights so it has to be days. *grin*

School wasn't bad, I seemed to be getting things and doing okay (Japanese vocab [adjectives] need some serious time). On the whole it was alright. I was getting caught up in my work (just a little behind now but doing okay). I was at home, doing my stuff and the roommie asks for a jump-start on his truck. No problem, figure just a few minutes, right? Well, not only didn't it work -- but while out there I noticed that the right-front tire seems to have blown out a sidewall. I mean this tire is in bad, bad shape.

It was probably like that on the freeway home from school. The thought of going down the freeway at 65ish with that tire kind of scared me. Kong, you can imagine I'm guessing from your posted experience. Well, I went and dug out my paperwork (see there is a reason to file and keep receipts) for the last pair of tires I bought. The bad one was one of these. So getting it replaced with a warranty on the new tire cost me $21 instead of $80ish so that's something to be thankful for. As well as not dying. Still money I wish I didn't have to find somewhere, but I'd rather spend it and scrounge the couches for weeks finding the money than be dead, heya?

Of course that's just one issue. The other tires are showing some nasty weather wear -- the dry heat and all seems to do a number on them so I need to keep the eyes peeled so nothing else happens. And then there is the driver side mirror which seems to have broken an internal spring so it won't hold it's position and is in effect totally worthless. The glove box handle is broken so it's hard to get in or out of it. Not a big thing, but just one of many little things my poor 11 year old car copes with.

Anyhow, that little escapade not only cut into the pocket book, but bicycle time. I couldn't give myself the time with as much work as I had to make up and still do. The only real positive, aside from being alive, is I got to read a bit. Sure, I suppose I could have taken a school book, but would I really have learned anything sitting there in the tire store? Novels are a lot easier to digest in situations like that. (Aside from which, getting a book a week read takes every extra minute I can spare usually.)

So anyhow -- I was thinking about that shout out I gave to my brother Derek and his family and got to thinking about my other siblings and parents and thought over the next little bit I'd say something to each of them. Tonight -- My folks. MUCHO thanks to Mom and Dad Bowen. Mom, you were always there for us (and still are). Even when you weren't home right when we ran in from school we knew you were probably out shopping or somesuch. We just knew you were always going to be there. Dad, thanks for taking care of our temporal lives with more than any of us ever deserved. I don't think any of us truly realize what sacrifices you've made for us. Even as we grow older and begin to learn them I don't think we really know. And what blessings have come because of it. 6 our 6 sons served honorable missions. 7 of 7 married children were married in the temple and when 8 gets around to it he'll do nothing less. Several fantastic grandchildren. I'd say you two did a fine job. Thanks again for everything. I couldn't possibly mention it all. Love you both!

I do believe I'm going to have a little bit of a snack, go over my Kanji for our quiz tomorrow and relax a bit before hitting the ol' sack. Sleep tight everyone, Godzilla is not on the rampage tonight!

~G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home